1) Arlott, Norman. Birds of the Greater Sundas, the Philippines, and Wallacea. 2018. Princeton University Press. Paperback: 416 pages. Price: $29.95 U.S.
PUBLISHER'S SUMMARY: Birds of the Greater Sundas, the Philippines, and Wallacea is a comprehensive illustrated guide to the varied and fascinating avian population inhabiting these Southeast Asian islands, which include Indonesian territories, the Philippine archipelago, and Borneo, the third-largest island in the world. Covering more than 1,900 species, this volume contains 179 beautiful color plates and 476 maps. The accompanying text provides detailed information about plumage, voice, range, distribution, status, and habitat. This accessible and much-needed guide will be essential for all bird enthusiasts traveling to this unique region.
- A comprehensive look at the more than 1,900 bird species of the Greater Sundas, the Philippines, and Wallacea
- Lavishly illustrated with 179 stunning color plates
- Gives detailed information about plumage, voice, range, distribution, status, and habitat
- Handy and easy to use
2) Stevens, Guy et al.. Guide to the Manta and Devil Rays of the World. 2018. Princeton University Press. Paperback: 144 pages. Price: $19.95 U.S.
PUBLISHER'S SUMMARY: Manta and devil rays are some of the most intriguing creatures in the ocean. Driven forward by powerful beats of wing-like pectoral fins, these filter feeders search the waters for prey, their horn-like head fins giving rise to ancient mariners’ tales of fearsome devilfish dragging boats into the ocean depths. Beloved by scuba divers and marine biologists alike, these impressive animals have never had a comprehensive field guide dedicated to them―until now.
Guide to the Manta and Devil Rays of the World includes detailed information on the identification, characteristics, threats, and distribution for each species in this family. Illustrated with more than 200 color photos, drawings, and plates, this guide also contains an expansive introduction to the general taxonomy, biology, and behavior of these iconic animals. This book will be an essential resource for fisheries management and international trade enforcement, and for anyone involved in ongoing manta and devil ray research and conservation.
- The first dedicated field guide for manta and devil rays
- Exhaustive treatment of every aspect related to their identification and biology
- Filled with 200+ color drawings, photos, and diagrams