1) Howell, Steve and Fabrice Schmitt. Birds of Chile: A Photo Guide. 2018. Princeton University Press. Paperback: 240 pages. Price: $29.95 U.S.
PUBLISHER'S SUMMARY: This is the first modern-style photographic field guide to the birds of Chile, an increasingly popular destination with birders and naturalists. Compact and easy to carry, pack, and use, Birds of Chile is ideal for curious naturalists and experienced birders alike, providing everything anyone needs to identify the birds they see. Clear photographs and brief, facing-page species accounts highlight what to look for and how to quickly identify species. The photos include both close-ups and birds-in-habitat images to further aid real-life identification. An introduction and maps provide an overview of Chile's geographic regions and their distinctive birdlife. Birds of Chile is also a great resource for birding in nearby countries, especially Argentina, Bolivia, and Peru.
- The first field-friendly photographic guide to the birds of Chile
- More than 1,000 real-life photos and brief, facing-page text make bird identification easy
- Overview and maps describe the distinct bird regions of Chile
- Perfect for curious naturalists and experienced birders alike
- Compact and easy to carry and pack
- Also a great resource for birding in Argentina, Bolivia, and Peru
2) Bowler, John. Wildlife of Madeira and the Canary Islands. 2018. Princeton University Press. Flexibound: 224 pages. Price: $24.95 U.S.
PUBLISHER'S SUMMARY: This beautifully illustrated photographic field guide is the first to focus on the identification of the fascinating, diverse and unique wildlife of Madeira and the Canary Islands--featuring the birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, butterflies and dragonflies that are most likely to be seen. Richly illustrated introductory sections cover the key wildlife sites to visit on each of the islands and provide an overview of the islands' geography, climate, habitat types and current conservation efforts. Stunning colour photographs highlight the key identification features of each species, and the accompanying text covers status, habitat preference, behaviour and, where appropriate, calls. The guide also features an up-to-date distribution map for each species. Complete with an attractive, user-friendly design, this is a must-have guide for all visitors to these magical islands.
- A beautifully designed and illustrated photographic field guide to the wildlife of Madeira and the Canary Islands
- Highlights the islands' unique native species and their conservation status
- Covers all birds, land and marine mammals, reptiles, amphibians, butterflies and dragonflies that are likely to be seen
- Features richly illustrated introductory sections on key sites to visit on each of the islands, covering their geography, climate, habitats and conservation
- Includes distribution maps for all species, as well as information on occurrence, status, habitat preference, behaviour and calls
3) Geniez, Philippe and Tony Williams. Snakes of Europe, North Africa and the Middle East: A Photographic Guide. 2018. Princeton University Press. Paperback: 379 pages. Price: $29.95 U.S.
PUBLISHER'S SUMMARY: This is a fully up-to-date and comprehensive photographic field guide to the snakes of Europe, North Africa and the Middle East. Lavishly illustrated with 387 color photographs, it includes coverage of all 122 snake species found in these regions.
The guide's detailed introduction discusses snake anatomy, biology, habitats and taxonomy. It also explores the health of snakes in captivity and conservation measures, and provides a succinct explanation of the chemical composition, physical effects and cultural uses of snake venom. Species accounts are arranged taxonomically and provide identification features, a description of the species' habitat and behavior and information about whether a snake is venomous. Abundant distribution maps describe each species' geographic variation and usual habitats. Clear photos aid identification and are supplemented with illustrations highlighting key anatomical features. A table of all species, country by country, is included at the back of the book.
The first dedicated field guide on snakes to appear in many years, Snakes of Europe, North Africa and the Middle East will be indispensable for anyone interested in learning more about these unique reptiles.
- Highlights all 122 snake species found in the region
- Features 387 excellent photos supplemented with diagrams
- Reflects most recent classification and scientific research
- Provides each species' identification details, habitat, behavior and much more
- Includes distribution maps for all species
RECOMMENDATION: A must have for anyone with an interest in the snakes of the region.