Thursday, December 7, 2017
1) Ngarachu, Catherine. 50 Top Birding Sites in Kenya. 2017. Struik Nature. Paperback: 168 pages. Price: $14.00 U.S.
PUBLISHER'S SUMMARY: A book that outlines the top 50 birding spots in Kenya. Each site is structured in the same way according to key headings: overview; location; visitor info; habitat; key species; where to see what at that site, and other wildlife. Color photographs of sites and species will accompany each entry. The book will appeal to local birders and tourists. For the very first time, local and international birders will have a detailed guide to Kenya’s best birding sites, which will help them to locate the key species in each area, including sought-after ‘specials’ and endemics.
• a map for each site with specific guidance on where to look for particular birds
• detailed information about the birds likely to be seen
• advice on when to visit
• tips for planning your trip, and
• descriptions of each site, detailing the plants and other wildlife that may be encountered.
RECOMMENDATION: For those with an interest in birding Kenya.
2) Chris and Mathilde Stuart. Stuarts’ Field Guide to the Larger Mammals of Africa. 2017. Struik Nature. Paperback: 456 pages. Price: $28.50 U.S.
PUBLISHER'S SUMMARY: Of the more than 5,500 mammals species worldwide, at least 1,200 occur in Africa. Stuarts’ Field Guide to the Larger Mammals of Africa – a classic and widely acclaimed work – concentrates on the more visible and easily distinguished larger species, as well as some of the more frequently seen smaller mammals. This new edition has been extensively revised, expanded and redesigned and includes: the most recent research and taxonomy; revised distribution maps and many new images; colour-coded grouping of orders; size icons; detailed descriptions of each species, offering insight into key identification characters, typical behaviour, preferred habitat, food choice, reproduction and longevity; whales and dolphins now featured too.
RECOMMENDATION: A well illustrated overview of these mammals of Africa.