1) Glassberg, Jeffrey. A Swift Guide to Butterflies of North America. 2017. Princeton University Press. Paperback: 420 pages. Price: $29.95 U.S.
PUBLISHER'S SUMMARY: A thoroughly revised edition of the most comprehensive and authoritative photographic field guide to North American butterflies.
This is a revised second edition of the most detailed, comprehensive, and user-friendly photographic field guide to the butterflies of North America. Written by Jeffrey Glassberg, the pioneering authority on the field identification of butterflies, the guide covers all known species, beautifully illustrating them with 3,500 large, gorgeous color photographs--the very best images available. This second edition includes more than 500 new photos and updated text, maps, and species names. For most species, there are photographs of topsides and undersides, males and females, and variants. All text is embedded in the photographs, allowing swift access in the field, and arrows point to field marks, showing you exactly what to look for. Detailed, same-page range maps include information about the number of broods in each area and where strays have been recorded. Color text boxes highlight information about habitat, caterpillar food plants, abundance and flight period, and other interesting facts. Also included are a quick visual index and a caterpillar food plant index. The result is an ideal field guide that will enable you to identify almost every butterfly you see.RECOMMENDATION: If you liked the first edition, you should like this edition.
- A revised second edition of the most comprehensive photographic field guide to North American butterflies, featuring more than 500 new photos and updated text, maps, and species names
- Written by the pioneering authority on the field identification of butterflies
- Beautifully illustrated with 3,500 color photographs that show all known species, including views of topsides and undersides, males and females, and variants for most species
- Authoritative text embedded in the photographs for swift access
- Detailed range maps
- Color text boxes that highlight information about habitat, food plants, abundance and flight period, and other interesting facts
- An invaluable tool for field identification