1) Smallshire, Dave and Andy Swash. Britain's Dragonflies: A Field Guide to the Damselflies and Dragonflies of Britain and Ireland (Third Edition). 2014. Princeton University Press/WILDGuides. Paperback: 224. Price: $25.95 U.S.
PUBLISHER'S SUMMARY: Britain's Dragonflies is the only comprehensive photographic field guide to the damselflies and dragonflies of Britain and Ireland. Written by two of Britain's foremost experts, this fully revised and updated edition features hundreds of stunning images and identification charts covering all 56 resident, migrant and former breeding species, and seven potential vagrants. The book focuses on identification--both of adults and larvae--highlighting the key features. Detailed species profiles provide concise information on identification, distribution, flight periods, behaviour, habitat, status and conservation. Other sections cover biology; how to watch, photograph, record and monitor Dragonflies; conservation status and legislation; and introduced exotic species.
This redesigned, updated and expanded edition features:
RECOMMENDATION: A MUST have for anyone with an interest in the Odonata of the United Kingdom.
- Beautiful colour plates showing males, females, immatures and all colour forms for every species
- Over 450 stunning photographs and 550 illustrations
- Up-to-date species profiles and distribution maps
- Detailed, easy-to-use identification charts for adults and larvae