1) Crossley, Richard and Dominic Couzens. The Crossley ID Guide: Britain & Ireland. 2013. Princeton University Press/Crossley Books. Flexicover: 301 pages. Price: $27.95 U.S.
PUBLISHER'S SUMMARY: This guide is a celebration of the beauty of birds and the British and Irish countryside. Aimed at beginner and intermediate birders, yet suitable for all levels, this new volume in the groundbreaking Crossley ID Guide series is the most user-friendly guide to the birds of Britain and Ireland. Following The Crossley ID Guides' award-winning design, this book looks at all regularly occurring species in Britain and Ireland, and shows readers how to identify birds in their natural habitats using size, structure, shape, probability, and behavior--just like the experts do! Stunning images are accompanied by the colorful and compelling text of Dominic Couzens, one of Britain's leading nature writers.
This unique book treats more than 300 species--all the regularly occurring birds likely to be encountered by observers--and the guide's attractive pages provide a real-life approach to bird identification. Beautiful, in-focus scenes present birds in various plumages and in lifelike poses set in identifiable British and Irish habitats. The plates also illustrate how a bird's appearance changes with distance. Organizing images in cohesive, easy-to-understand plates rather than as separate photographs, this book also sets itself apart by containing more images that demonstrate flight, behavior, habitat, and plumages than any other volume available. Not only is this field guide a reference book, it is also a spectacular teaching resource that makes it easy for nature enthusiasts to see and appreciate the big picture of bird identification.
This book features:
- The most user-friendly guide to the birds of Britain and Ireland
- A close look at more than 300 regularly occurring species
- Award-winning Crossley ID Guide design
- Lifelike images of birds from near to far
- A celebration of the British and Irish countryside
- A teaching and field guide and essential reference
- Concise and compelling text by Dominic Couzens and Richard Crossley
RECOMMENDATION: Fans of the Crossley guides will enjoy this book. The overall page size is smaller than the previous books in this series.